Tutorials

Saturday 22 September 2012

Scraps and Surprises


I have been playing with my scraps again...  and my scraps really are scraps of fabric, some no more than an 1" square, but it is surprising what you can do with them...

 You may remember that earlier in the year a challenge was set to join in with an 'on line' group that were making New York Beauties.  The group of on line quilters chose to use  these patterns, and I did complete them all, but had no idea of what to do with my samples so I just sewed them together as it would mean less chance of losing them and stashed them into a draw.  I now know what I want to use them for........ remember my quilt (the round robin quilt) that I have just got sent back to me??  Well, that quilt has the signature block to be included into the back that measures 16.5" x 16.5" and the New York Beauty blocks are 8.5" blocks. so I have now made an extra 6 blocks (I now have 16 altogether)
and have decided to add two rows of four NYB on each side of my signature block... 

and add to my backing fabric.  

I should have ironed this before the photo....
Trying to sandwich this quilt was not the easiest job in the world, but after spending all afternoon crawling (only using one knee) around the room I think that will do.


Hopefully the next time you see this quilt it will be quilted and bound ready for the 'new look' bedroom...

And today look what arrived.

I have to share this with you all.   I have just received my mini quilt from the Fab Little Quilt Swap on flickr.  This was one of the quilts I was hoping to see drop through my letterbox, but never really thought I would be that lucky.  This little quilt was wrapped so beautifully, and I got some chocolates that are called Dream Waltz and were made for Valentines Day so had to share them with Mr D. and also some fabric and a beautiful card.



Isn't it a beauty...



Just look at the detailed quilting
 Sil (my partner) lives in Brazil but obviously did her home work on me, she has included my bike, used bright cheerful colours and has spent many hours fussy cutting tiny trees, birds,
VW camper vans, people, dogs, gnomes looking out of windows and in the bottom right hand corner is the tiniest of mushrooms....


7 comments:

  1. Hi Jo what a wonderful gift you have had sent you.
    I think it's beautiful like the bike,trees ect.In fact I like all of it.
    some clever people around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Ellen it is a wonderful work of art, I will bring it on Monday to show you

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous way to use those lovely New York Beauty blocks. Great idea! Got the beach hut then?? Lucky you to receive such a lovely Swap. No less than you deserve when you put such thought into the items that you send. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowser Jo! I can't believe you made MORE NY Beauties and for the back no less!;) That thing is massive...are you really going to quilt it all on your own?:o

    Lucky you to have Sil as your secret partner. The first thing I thought when I saw the mini was she captured your town!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a busy weekend?!! The quilt backing looks great. (clever girl!) and what a fabulous mini quilt you have received. It was one of my favourites. I take it the chocolates have already been eaten?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jo. After looking at your mini quilt I can not believe how wonderful it is.Pleased you bought it to the group today.
    Have a good weekend see you when I am back from holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What stunning work! I love the use of bright colours on white.

    ReplyDelete