Tutorials

Wednesday 28 January 2015

Back in the swing of things

I am slowly getting back into the swing of things.  We arrived back from our hols on a Tuesday and were welcomed back with a bit of a sleet and a touch of snow as we drove from the airport.  Luckily, the weather has been kind to us since that day and I can't complain about the amount of sunshine we have had over the past couple of weeks.... but we are in January so the cold is expected.  

I went back to my LQS to the crochet group and the ladies have been much more industrious that me, and had lots to show and tell.  I myself, did nothing over the holiday period so that put me to shame, but my ladies are wonderful and full of forgiveness.  I am now trying to put that right ...... I have been sitting in the evenings making more of these 



goodness knows how many more I need to make a blanket

I am making them with the left over scraps of sock yarn, and I think they are looking rather good.  Just got to start putting some of them together so I know where I am heading.....will keep you posted.


I bought some new Summer weight, soft cotton pants while in South Africa and loved them so much I bought fabric to have a go at making some similar.  I would have liked a pattern, but am too impatient to search and buy one (even if I could find the right one!), so I had to make my own.  

They are bright but so comfie
and after just a few hours I had made my first pair.

Not bad 

I went along to Higham piecemakeres and our 'all day' session was making post cards.  Now I have never made these before, so armed with sewing machine, fabric etc. I decided to 'have a go'.  Some of the ladies really went to town, but I decided nothing "too taxing" as I still needed to chat to my friends.  My plan was to send the finished items to my South African grandchildren and keep my fingers crossed that they arrived.  I have to say, I really enjoyed making these post cards and think maybe they would be so sweet to send to friends.  

The background fabric is from a quilt I made for Little Miss I

While I was at the group I was also given my 'Challenge'.   If you have been reading my blog for a while, you will know that every year we are given a Challenge  but of course you don't have to join in, although most members moan and groan  take it with a smile and enjoy joining in.  This years challenge is to take an artist of your choice and recreate, in any fabric method,one of their paintings.  I can't really say much about this because we have a 'show and tell' at the end of March, and all the pieces will be on display at our bi - annual quilt exhibition in September.   All I can say is I was going to let  my one be sold at the exhibition, but my daughter has fallen in love with it and made a claim!.....have to say I feel quite thrilled that she wants it.  I have toyed with the idea of giving you a glimpse, but decided that it might just give the game away if you saw my sneak peek. so you, along with the members of the group will have to be patient.  

One thing I did finish at the end of last year but had no time to show you was this wonderful lap size/ or table topper quilt.  It is one of Jan Shepherd's patterns and I have to say I love it.  I did make mine a little smaller than the original.

Ready to go into the suitcase for a trip to S.A,

Last but not least, its really lovely to see some of these as it certainly makes you think Spring is on its way........we hope

The perfume from the Hyacinths was delightful 

Got to love a daffodil


Cold weather forecast, so going to bury myself under a quilt, to sit and sew, crochet, or whatever takes my fancy.   Keep warm




5 comments:

  1. Love those pants Jo! Can see you're back in the swing of things".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so quick Jo !! I must stop procrastinating and get on with my list of things. The pants look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are back working with speed. Jo. you have been busy.. Love the crochet flowers and your pants are very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowser! Great job on the pants...I thought in the UK...pants was something else!;)

    Can't wait to see your artist quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your 'pants'. They are something else in the UK Dolores!!
    My challenge is coming together slowly, slowly.

    ReplyDelete