Tutorials

Friday 7 August 2015

Quiet week

Things have been fairly quiet in our house this week, but I thought I would stop by and let you see what has been happening.

On Tuesday evening I went off with my friends for yet another walk in the Maidwell village area.  We have done this walk a few times, but always come across another new footpath and my adventurous friend wanting to see where it leads.  So this week we started off as normal on the footpath that leads from the village,  did a little diversion, and for a little while no one seemed to know were we were headed. Unfortunately Northamptonshire don't seem to mark their footpaths or access areas very clearly, but my friends have a great sense of direction and we finally found ourselves back on a track that we knew.  I am sure I have said it before, but I will say it again... the countryside is stunning!

The evening was not the clearest of evenings. but in the distance this purple field looked beautiful


Swathes of purple beyond the corn fields
 As the evening deepened the clouds cleared a little and we had another lovely sunset

Just a hint of pink

Just a minute later...bit more pink
then more of the sky lighting up
So beautiful

Finally the whole sky was a mass of colour
I also had an unexpected visit to the 'Festival of Quilts' at the NEC Birmingham. A friend was going and had a spare seat in her car, so I took the opportunity to go along.  The NEC is always a good day out, some wonderful quilts to impress you, some super fabrics to inspire you, and always new people to meet and chat to.  I didn't buy much, but loved the 'looking'.

I have finally managed to get my 'quilt as you go' quilt finished.  If you remember I had hand quilted a whole cloth and then added blocks around the edge to make it into a size that could be used.  The whole cloth had been marked out in blue, so I had to wait for some good weather so I could wash out the marking...... the day came when I thought I could get it dry so in the bath it went, and surprisingly it fitted into the washing machine for a spin, then on the line to dry.  I have added some 'yo yo's to the centre to bring in some of the colour from the blocks and love it.  For the summer months it will sit happily on my bed.

Unfortunately you can's see any of the true colours or the quilting

The  Mini Mania group this month took its pattern from here, with Felice giving her blessing.  The 'show and tell' was at the end of the month, and this was my addition to the group.

Started off with neat little piles

and spent happy hours hand sewing

then ended up with this little quilt
This month is 'foundation paper pieced' and I have to say its already given me a few headaches, but I am sure I will get there in the end.  If you want to join us, this is the pattern we are using Vintage sewing  created by .charise creates.  Good luck.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

9 comments:

  1. What stunning sunset pictures, such beautiful colours. The quilt is beautiful.
    On Sunfday we are off to our daughters n Oxfordshire. Hopefully we will be doing some lovely walks down by the Thames, as she is not far from Henley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks June, As the weather is reported to be good I hope you have a great time in Oxford (love that city) and rpenjoy your walks.

      Delete
    2. That should read 'enjoy your walks'

      Delete
  2. It is so true that we do not properly appreciate how beautiful this county is. Your quilt is lovely. Another busy day at the NEC today, but have met some fab people

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always prefer the country side and the english one is always on my heart, specially the green colours. Your finished quilt is gorgeous! I haven't even started on ower august challenge, I guess I'm a bit intimidated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures of the Northamptonshire countryside. We love enjoying it in our Land Rover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so lucky to live in such a beautiful country, and our countryside is not jam packed with hoilday makers and traffic jams. So lucky

      Delete
  5. Our towns may not be so beautiful, but we have 'big' views and your sunset is lovely. Love your MM quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your finished quilt Jo....that's a treasure....now you need to make more so all your kids can get one!:)

    Oh Oxford....I miss you so....and your visits to us there!:)

    ReplyDelete