Tutorials

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Whoop! Whoop!

Guess what I have been doing this week......... you won't ever guess because I don't think even I  would have thought that, after our guests had left us, I would recover a sofa...... but Yep! I have done it.

For years we have had cream 'bull denim' covers on our sofas and I loved the fact that they could all be taken off, thrown in the washing machine and put back on and... the sofa still looks as good as new. One of the sofas had got to the point of really needing everything renewing so we invested in a new one.  I could't get a cream sofa that suited us, but we finally found a sofa that was OK for comfort but I didn't like the colour.  We have had it for about a year now but this week it was time for sudden change!!  I was fortunate that my sister had given me some of her curtains (almost new, but not needed any longer) so I decided to 'have a go' at upholstery and because I was using fabric that was no longer needed I really couldn't lose even if I did mess up.
I started with making the seating cushions in the bull denim from the old covers as I thought they would get the worse of wear and the fabric would be stronger than the curtain fabric.  Next were the arms as they needed template patterns, they worked out so well in fabric so I went "hell for leather" on the rest of it.
This is the sofa before I got my hands on it.

Dull Dull Dull, but very practical if you have children..
Arms getting their covers and checking the amount of fabric  .....loads left

All in pieces ready to go

Phew!  almost done.... now where did I put those nuts and bolts?

All covered 
Tah Dah!
Come on tell the truth, it does look better in cream

No Chocolate allowed here>
Recycle  -  Oh yes ..... this new look sofa cost me zero pounds and I have managed to use all that fabric - and all in one day!!    Yeah!!  

I am off tomorrow to make another 'scatter' cushion so watch this space.

7 comments:

  1. WOW! You will tackle anything Jo. The sofa looks great, and sets those lovely new cushions off so much better.

    No sitting on that baby in jeans Mr D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing! I'm nearly speechless ;-) Great job, which I could do the same to our sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I get a Woot! Woot!:) Wowser lady...great job....and you sure are brave to have a white couch!;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously impressed. I wouldn't even know where to begin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great, Jo. I know where to come now to have
    mine recovered!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a satisfying finish! It looks so much better now and makes those beautiful bright cushion stand out more. I have two couches I'd love to recover but no idea where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jo wow wow is all I can say You are so brave I am amazed and it looks so stunning your cushions are looking so good well done

    ReplyDelete