Tutorials

Wednesday 16 September 2015

Quiet Time

Not a lot seems to be going on in my household, but I don't seem to have any spare time either.  One thing that did take some time was when we went down to London to visit family and it took us 2.5 hours to travel 4 miles because of traffic!  The thing was that we left the shopping mall early to avoid the rush hour traffic, but clean forgot that there were road works about 8 miles away and all the traffic was trying to find alternative routes......Blaaaaa!!!  At one point I got out of the car and bought some fruit from a shop and got back to the car without the car moving.  I never forget how lucky we are to live in a 'fairly' rural area, and count my blessings that we never have to sit in traffic like that.

On Friday we had our crochet group meeting, and one of the ladies has been offered some Carpet Wool......for free!!  Evidently it was headed for the rubbish tip!......do you remember last year when 'L' actually bought some (pictured below).

Got a bit carried away.
This is some of the yarn that we have gained for free'   I have just wound it into smaller balls so a few big balls can go a bit further.

Not sure you can see just how big the balls were 

One of the wooden spools empty, bet there's a few folk that would like those!

The other thing that is growing is the pile of bonding blankets for  Emily's Star

These can be added to the box we are now collecting

I have also decided to try a different recipe for my apple pies.  This morning I peeled and chopped all my remaining apples, part cooked them and then left them in a strainer to remove some of the liquid.  I then blind baked the pastry for the bottom of the pie, popped the cooked apples in and covered them with a lid.  I am hoping this will help prevent a "soggy bottom".......after all who wants that.  Actually I don't care if the bottom is soggy just so long as there's plenty of apple.  I'll try to remember to let you know how they eat.

With their uncooked lids they are ready for the freezer





4 comments:

  1. You are right....people love those wooden spools!

    Bought a huge basket of peaches and apples this weekend...thought of you!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still winding.......

    I must try that method of Pie making - I have had a soggy bottom too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love a wooden spool for my new work room (to be)!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog

    posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.
    Cigarette Machinery

    ReplyDelete